Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Working toward it

 
There were a few talks that really stood out to me from General Conference this past weekend--loved Elder Holland's talk.  Among my favorites was the talk on terrific marriages by Elder L. Whitney Clayton. 
 
"No other relationship of any kind can bring as much joy, generate as much good, or produce as much personal refinement."  Because of the sacred nature marriage, it can also bring the most pain and heartache, as we WoPA's have experienced.  I know for many of the wives this talk was very triggering, which is understandable considering the destruction lust addiction has had on our marriages.  It was a painful reminder of the marriages we don't have and possibly will never have if we and our husband's don't choose recovery.  For myself, however, I found great peace and hope in this talk.
 
While Mr. Hopeful and I are far from having a terrific marriage, this talk is a great "road map", like Sparrow commented on another blog, for us to follow in order to achieve a terrific marriage.  A true CELESTIAL marriage. 
 
Elder Clayton's words brought hope to my heart as I was able to look at our marriage and say "Hey, we are doing that and we are working on that."
 
Mr. Hopeful and I are "working side by side doing the most important work there is, the work we do in our own homes."   We are united in teaching our children and doing the things that invite the spirit into our home--FHE, prayer, scripture study, etc.  We share in the privilege of putting our little ones to bed and saying individual prayers with them.  We find great joy in spending time with our older kids and talking to them about their days. 
 
Every night we "retire to bed together" and study our own recovery steps, read a talk together, journal, or study the scriptures.  This usually ends up in discussions on where we are at in our individual recovery's as well as the recovery of our marriage and family.  We now call our bed one of our "holy places" as so many tender spiritual experiences have taken place as we are laying in our bed.  We joke that we are never going to get rid of our bed.
 
Elder Clayton says, "Transparency is a key element.  There should be no secrets about relevant matters in marriages . . ."  Mr. Hopeful and I are working toward this.  There has been HUGE changes in transparency for both him and I.  It is a process and as we are patient and forgiving of each other I know it will continue to improve. 
 
"Happy marriages rely on repentance."  I am striving daily to take a honest look at myself and see if there is anything in behavior toward my husband that I need to repent of.  If there is, then I quickly apologize and repent of it.
 
"Strengthening faith, strengthens marriage"  As we both work our own recovery's we are strengthening our faith which is in turn strengthening our marriage.  I was reminded of the God/Marriage Triangle when I heard this part of Elder Clayton's talk.

As a husband and wife draw closer to God, they also come closer to each other. As they come closer to God, they develop more attributes that are essential for a relationship to last for years upon years. These characteristics include respect, forgiveness, repentance, love, and compassion. As couples are working at drawing closer to God, they are able to maintain an intimate connection for a significant longer period of time.
 
 
Other than our individual relationship's with the Lord, our marriage is our "first priority".  We are making time to really connect with each other, to laugh together, to cry together, to parent together, to study together.  We are doing this TOGETHER.  I am grateful that HE wants to do it with ME.  And that I want to do it with HIM.  If I am honest, there was a time when I wondered if I did. 
 
Most importantly, we are doing it TOGETHER with the Lord.  It can't work any other way. 
 
There were some quotes from Elder Clayton's talk that stood out as something that I need to work on to strengthen our marriage.  Too often I find myself lashing out at Mr. Hopeful when I allow the negative emotions and thoughts dominate.  Fears and doubts cloud my mind leading me to pain shop and wield my weapons of war.  Instead, I need to "answer softly and listen kindly." 
 
I am grateful for this inspired talk and the hope that it gives me that Mr. Hopeful and I can have a "Terrific Marriage" despite the difficulties that we are facing and will undoubtedly face in the future.       

5 comments:

  1. Great post...I was very surprised to see the term "transparency" mentioned in conference...Mr Z and I are still working on this (still do not have a full disclosure and I was questioning if I should still be holding out for one) and this talk answered my question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this. That talk was very triggering for me, but I imagine it was because it was triggering for my husband too and he was being grouchy, impatient and yelling at the kids. Addict behaviors are triggering to me.

    I am excited to sit and study it later and learn all I can to do to have a better marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I love this post. This talk my favorite:)

    I love what you've shared here about what you and Mr. Hopeful are doing in your recoveries. I think of our bed as sacred as well...we have the spiritual talks there. I am a night owl and my hubs is an early bird, so I am working on going to bed with him. It's so far better for me and I find that I physically feel better when I go to bed early and wake up early.

    I am excited to get Elder Clayton's talk in print. There is so much to study and apply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this. What a beautiful story of hope and recovery you share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I also enjoyed this talk and especially like your mention of the God/Marriage triangle. This concept was shared with us by a therapist early on in our marriage and we have talked about it often as it relates to addiction and recovery. Trusting enough to turn away and face God only to find that he was bringing us closer together all the while.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete