Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Like a Child

As I was laying in bed feeding my baby the other morning the thought came to me, "she has to depend on you for EVERYTHING, she can do nothing for herself." As I pondered on that statement several scriptures came to mind . . .
" . . . Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kindgdom of heaven. Whosoever therfore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3-4
" . . . be not children in understanding; howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men." 1 Corinthians 14:20
" . . . and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." Mosiah 3:19
What qualities do my my baby and young children posses that I might not? What can I learn from my young infant, from my young children that might help me as I work on my own sprititual growth?

"These precious children of God come to us with believing hearts. They are full of faith and receptive to feelings of the Spirit. They exemplify humility, obedience, and love. They are often the first to love and the first to forgive." Jean A. Stevens, 2011 April General Conference
I have always found it interesting when I get after one of my young children that they immediately turn to me for a hug. They have already forgiven me for being upset with them. How I wish that I would forgive as easily as children do.

In the LDS ARP manual part of Step 1 asks "How can a little child be of infinite worth and still be nothing when to compared to his or her parents?" This takes me back to the thought I had while feeding my little girl. While she is small compared to me, her mother, she is a daughter of God, a child "of the most High" and therefore has infinite worth. We read in Doctorine & Covenants 18:10 "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God.” We are all little children, children of our Father in Heaven. Sometimes it is too easy for me to forget that I am a daughter of God and that my "worth is great in His sight".

I need to remember to become more like a child when it comes to forgiving others. More believing and "receptive to feelings of the Spirit". I need to become more willing to love, more obedient. I need to be more humble and willing to submit to my Father in Heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I needed it today.

    This part stuck out to me the most...

    "I have always found it interesting when I get after one of my young children that they immediately turn to me for a hug. They have already forgiven me for being upset with them. How I wish that I would forgive as easily as children do."

    My almost 7 year old does this. In fact I can recall at least 5 times this week, I got upset at him for not obeying me and he ran to hug me and I brushed him off, because I was mad he didn't obey.

    Thank you for this perspective. Next time I am upset with him and he tries to hug me, I am going to take the opportunity to have a one on one teaching moment and give him hugs back.

    Very inspiring:) Just what I needed!


    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is absolutely beautiful. I, also, have a young baby and young children. I felt the Spirit strongly as I read your post and it reminded me how much I need to look to my children. Sometimes I am tired and it is hard to get things done because they take so much out of me, but really, there is so much I can learn from them if I slow down and look. I love the scriptures and quotes you shared as well. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete