Thursday, January 10, 2013

Not Forgotten

Shortly after hubby's most recent disclosure I was reading the conference addresses and this particular talk, "The Lord Has Not Forgotten You" by Linda S. Reeves brought much hope and peace to my aching heart. 
 
She shares one of her favorite stories from the Savior's life . . .the story of Lazarus.  Jesus loved Mary, Martha, and Lazarus very much.  He was told that Lazarus was sick, but didn't he did not go right away  to Lazarus.  Instead He said,
“this sickness is … for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.”
Lazarus died and after two days Jesus went to Mary and Martha.  Mary was so overcome with sorrow that she threw herself at the Savior's feet and wept. 
 We are told that “when Jesus therefore saw [Mary] weeping, … he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled,” 
The Savior asked where they had laid Lazarus  
Then we read some of the most compassionate, loving words in scripture: “Jesus wept.”.
 Apostle James E. Talmage wrote, “The sight of the two women so overcome by grief … caused Jesus to sorrow [with them] so that He groaned in spirit and was deeply troubled.” This experience testifies of the compassion, empathy, and love that our Savior and our Heavenly Father feel for each of us every time we are weighed down by the anguish, sin, adversity, and pains of life.
 Dear sisters, our Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ, know us and love us. They know when we are in pain or suffering in any way. They do not say, “It’s OK that you’re in pain right now because soon everything is going to be all right. You will be healed, or your husband will find a job, or your wandering child will come back.” They feel the depth of our suffering, and we can feel of Their love and compassion in our suffering.
 
She then shared Alma 7:11-12:

“And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
“And he will take upon him … their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, … that he may know … how to succor his people according to their infirmities.” (empahsis added)
 
In the wake of hubby's disclosure I had felt forgotten.  How could Heavenly Father let this happen to me?  Why didn't He give me some warning or sign that something was wrong in my marriage, that my husband was hurting so much inside that he had no regard for me, for our family.  I felt so low and forgotten that unfortunately I didn't think to pray.  However, my Father in Heaven offered me a tender mercy by leading me to this article to le me know that He hadn't forgotten me, that he was very aware of me and my struggles.
 
Looking back, I now see that I had to hit a "rock bottom" of my own in order for me to turn to my Father in Heaven and my Savior.  This talk helped me to see that despite what my husband does or does not do, that my Savior is there to give me hope, peace, healing, love, and forgiveness.  I just need to turn to HIM and turn my will over to Him.
He has not forgotten you! Whatever sin or weakness or pain or struggle or trial you are going through, He knows and understands those very moments. He loves you! And He will carry you through those moments, just as He did Mary and Martha. He has paid the price that He might know how to succor you. Cast your burdens upon Him. Tell your Heavenly Father how you feel. Tell Him about your pain and afflictions and then give them to Him. Search the scriptures daily. There you will also find great solace and help. (empahsis added)
This talk brought me so much hope and peace at a time when I didn't think I would ever be able to be happy again that I decided that this would be the title of my recovery blog.  It server as a constant reminder that He hasn't forgotten me, that He loves me, that He understands.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful:) I love this talk and the scripture in Alma is one my favorites. I keep a scripture journal, which is filled with uplifting quotes and scriptures. I started it when I lost a baby a few years ago, it brought me so much comfort when I lost another one this last year and discovered my husband had relasped.

    I too had to hit my own personal rock bottom a few times in order to find healing. Recovery is so personal and amazing.

    I am in a good spot now...hoping to become a facilitator for my group or a sponsor to someone. We don't have that where I live for the wives group. I feel the Lord guiding me to share my testimony of healing with others.

    Thanks for sharing this message tonight. Very inspiring:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sparrow....I love the idea of a scripture journal. I have come across so many as of late that have touched me and have brought much peace.

      How great that would be to be a facilitator or sponsor for your local group. I would like to be to that point someday. My area is in desperate need of sponsors and facilitators.

      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I LOVED that talk as well. I love having women who are going through similar pain and struggles that we go through. However, all of the situations are different and unique. I don't think any of us can truly understand EXACTLY what someone else is feeling. But HE can. Christ can. I feel so grateful for the Atonement and that he was willing to come to Earth and allow himself to go through such pain all for US. For you, and for me, and for our husbands. It's incredible.

    I have hit rock bottom so many times that I have lost count. But it is beautiful. It is beautiful to turn yourself over to God and Christ and realize that they are the best place to be anyway. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete